originally posted on tumblr, Feb 25th 2026
Movie-A-Day-Thon #2: The Seventh Seal (1957)
The amount of YEARS that this movie has been sitting on my folders, WAITING for me to sit my damn ass down and watch it, it’s actually embarassing. BUT WE DID IT HURRAY YIPEE!!
The value grading is way more stark in this movie, I think cus they had some scenes in actual locations and not a set. It’s kind of fun to be able to tell just how sunny the day was when they shot the scenes, and it also outlines just how grim the movie is. It fits the northern european vibes, to be honest.
Speaking of, what a dark fucking movie. Not in a gloom-and-doom way, but in a genuine discussion of faith and the afterlife and the nature of human life. And holy shit is it FULL of amazing fucking lines. “We shall make an idol of our fear, and that idol we shall call God”???? Are you kidding me??? Baby atheist me would have LOVED this movie!
The chemistry between actors is also fantastic, it’s theatrical sure but in a cheesy and eandering way, I’m drawn in by all of them. The costuming was more of a Vibe And Prayers ✨ than any solid timeframe for the medieval setting but I can forgive it. If anything, it’s better off like that, I think groundedness would lessen it somehow.
Speaking of, the way the narrative nestles itself in in-betweens is so delicious. A beach, a stretch of road, a camp, a village not yet struck by the plague but abuzz and afeared by the rumors from afar. Ambrosius’ not-alive-but-not-dead. It’s SO JUICY. And of course, the ever ongoing game of chess sprinkled throughout.
And I don’t know how else to phrase this, but the comedy is so medieval? Ass and fart jokes, but also grim turns of phrases and rhymes. Slapstick too. I vibed with it. Watching Death saw down a tree just to kill a guy was so hysterical for no reason. Oh, you thought Death was this serious figure all the time? Oh no buddy, he’s got jokes.
Regardless, it was a fun but somber romp with some fond archetypes of mine. Worth a watch it you got an hour and some change to spare <3
No comments:
Post a Comment