Thursday, March 12, 2026

 originally posted on tumblr, Mar 12th 2026 

Movie-A-Day-Thon #17: The Descent (2005)

I remember seeing the poster for this movie and thinking, this is the raddest shit I’ve ever seen. The 00s had some BANGER posters, not gonna lie, I think it’s a dying art personally.

I was just thinking about the stupid 00s over saturated color grading when we get a brutal accidental death THREE MINUTES IN?? I was not expecting that, gotta love the Final Destination-ing of horror. And fuck man, to kill a kid like that?? Talk about traumatizing my generation against any sort of road driving, huh.

Very pleasantly surprised and entertained by the all-women’s cast! Not an easy find, and they are all interesting their own way.

The movie really gets going once they are down the damn hole in the ground (wild visual btw), and the fried color grading truly shines once we are out of the Twilight blue woods, and into the harsh inky-darkness-and-flare-red shots. That scene was delicious to look at, not exactly because it was done Well (it was but not as good as some other movies do with harsh limited palettes), but because it really feels like I’m watching a movie.

Okay let me try to explain. Nowadays everything is ultra high definition, 8K, a william dots per pixel per square. That’s fine, whatever. Thing is, it tends to look more sharp than reality, so things kind of end up feeling too plastic. But lower quality, less realistic colors and fried levels… That’s what it feels like trying to take a recording of anything. Your phone camera isn’t always gonna get stellar videos of anything, but it’s enough, and most importantly, it’s a familiar kind of shitty. Movies with a similar grade make my brain lean on that familiarity, so it feels more real. Does that make sense?

This movie has some harsh lighting and contrasts that would put some film noir movies to shame, and I’m HERE FOR IT. The tight passage scenes are incredibly claustrophobic, as they should be, and the actresses pulled off those scenes phenomenally! Read: I almost started crying and having an anxiety attack <3 We’ve had in recent years had issues with movies and series having pitch dark scenes you can’t make heads or tails of, because rEaLiSm or whatever, but in this movie that is about ACTUAL pitch black cave darkness, they still made it able for you to see shit, even if said shit was a few headlamps and the sharp outline of the rock faces.

They also really take their time setting up the spooky stuff, we’re past the halfway and only now getting glimpses of the Falmer dudes! They carry the movie very far with just the inherent horror of the underground. And it’s been a WHILE since jumpscares got me AND didn’t piss me off about it! A single scene to thin out almost half the cast and it makes sense! Good shit!! Sadly I feel like half of the interesting tension in the movie was gone the moment they introduces the underground guys. It just turned into Alien but not in space which. Yeah not against it, but very much a sudden tone shift for me.

How I don’t hear enough about this movie as one of the horror greatest is, sincerely beyond me. Maybe I’m just out of touch with the actual cultured horror enjoyers? /lh Anyway absolutely check it out if you want a nail-biting gorefest with an hour-long spelunking traumatic experience. Can absolutely recommend it!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment