originally posted on tumblr, Mar 1st 2026
Movie-A-Day-Thon #6: Perfect Blue (1998)
Black Swan eat your heart out, you’ll never beat the one the only the myth the legend, Satoshi Kon. You are dearly missed, this one is for you!
Yknow, you always hear people talk about this movie (with good reason!!). They talk about the themes and some of the scenes in specific. They mention the stalker and her alter self, Kon’s amazing cinematography and pacing, even some of the symbolism used in the movie. Nobody, EVER, that I’ve experienced, EVER, mentioned the acted rape scene.
I did NOT see that one coming, and certainly not for it to go on for so long. I wasn’t harmed by it but, I’m still sitting here in my room and wondering why has this NEVER come across my radar before?? Crazy choice of omission, given just how importat that entire plot beat was for the themes and the narrative as a whole?? One would think it would have come up at least ONCE in my life until now??
Okay I’m done with that cus wow that was a sucker punch. The soundtrack and sound design definitely sells most of the scenes, particularly the more horror ones. It takes me back to Akira, and Ghost in the Shell though Kon had no direct hand in that afaik.
Watching this in the heart of the digital age, and seeing Mima not even knowing what a website was, and even struggling with the english native terms of the internet and computer stuff, was actually really sweet. I was there! I remember when that was a thing! What a throwback!
I don’t know if it was ever intentional, but I can’t help but see Madoka’s magical girl form in Mima’s idol dress? Wonder if that was an intended inspiration.
Whatever, Kon never misses, fantastic movie, peak mindfuck.
No comments:
Post a Comment