originally posted on tumblr, Mar 31th 2026
Movie-A-Day-Thon #36: The Lost Boys (1987)
How long can we keep this 80s movies streak going? Let's find out! First of all, I have no inkling of what this movies is about in the slightest. I haven't even peeped the synopsis for this one, I wanna go in blind. All I know is the poster for it, and it's giving like, Grease but dark and edgy?
I am then immediately charmed by the 80s synths, brushed out mullets and absolutely extra outfits. Also glistening chunky muscles frontman with the tights?? Hell yeah!! Something about the costuming in this feels so grounded, as well as the beginning credits cutscenes. Feels like they just shot a busy day in an actual boardwalk rather than fill up a location with extras, it's nice! Makes the city feels alive, even if they do sprinkle in some close ups of extras.
Not gonna lie, the nerd-off between Sam and the local comic nerds was fucking funny. Can't believe people still do this shit. The edgy secret society of vampire hunters shtick they got going is pretty amusing though, just the kind of stuff you'd expect from comic nerds but also works for the supernatural plot elements.
The cliffside ride scene was fucked up though. Teens be doing wild shit all the time but what the fuck.
One thing I appreciate from older movies is like, the smorgasbord maximalist set designs specifically for lairs and hideouts? They are always so cluttered but in an appealing way, like there's so many nooks and crannies to burrow into, and everything clatters and clinks, and there's something cozy about it all, even when it kind of looks like a hoarder's stash. I'm not if there's a name for that aesthetic or vibe, but I dig it!
I did love the scene where the gang shows up at their place. Everything goes up from the wind, like their aren't guys on bikes but huge beasts on wings, causing a stir and roaring threateningly outside. It's an amazing visual! And call it corny all you like, all the aerial shots instead of showing the actual vampires flying about is cool! I like when the camera takes me on a spin!
Anyway I enjoy we get both a delinquent teenager vampire horror story AND a tween's adventure vampire hunter horror story in just one movie, it mostly depends on which brother you focus on. Shout out best boy Nanook, too. Definitely had a great time with this movie!
No comments:
Post a Comment