originally posted on tumblr, Apr 5th 2026
Movie-A-Day-Thon #41: Suspiria (1977)
So how's that for some oomph?? This one is another Big Movie(tm) that scares me off cus having an opinion on it feels so moot and just a drop in the ocean, but god damnit if the looks aren't interesting, I'm so fucking ready.
Right away the color grading makes the reds and yellows pop so fiercely, I have to put on some eye drops, which if you ask me is a wonderful sign. And the shots right away draw you in with the use of the theme leitmotif and constant cuts, and the bounce lights inside the taxi.... I'm in love.
Every set feels so uncanny and dream-like, borderline liminal, and the colors are so stark, it's anxiety inducing. Certainly puts you on edge, wondering if you're in reality or not. Also Pat's murder was so Much, but in a good way? The sound design and mixing really made it so unnerving and upsetting, yet I couldn't look away!
Sometimes the acting is a bit wonky, or a bit unconvincing, but the cinematography and sound carry the tension and unease of the scene far more strongly. It also doesn't help that most of the lines have been dubbed over, and you can tell because the lipsync is so off.
Honestly I could ramble about how yummy the set designs are all day. Not a single location in this movie isn't a wonder to behold, and turns each scene into a spectacle in some way. It's such an unrepentantly colorful movie, and intentional with it as well. The hallways are not, in fact, "just red".
I will say, the portrayal of Daniel, the blind character. grated on me a bit. The casual ableism towards him (and Pavlos too, my god) really hurt to see. And I know it's not exactly feasible to get a properly trained guide dog on set given the demand for them at the best of times, but this dog acts out and is treated so oddly throughout the movie. Anyone with some baseline knowledge of how seeing dogs behave, are treated and perform their duties will know they just slapped a harness on a regular dog with basic training and rolled the tape. Like, who leaves their guide dog tied up outside with no shelter, water or food?? At least let him stay inside where it's safe!!
The movie itself is really good, has some cheesy effects but I forgive it since every shot is such eye candy, but some scenes do tend to drag out a bit much. Like I get it, the girl is panicking, and trying to escape, and anguished, and and and, can we get on with it now? But in the gradn scheme of things, that's such a minor thing I feel a bit dickish even bringing it up.
Definitely give it a try, especially if you wanna explore what colored lighting, sound design and set design can do for a movie!
No comments:
Post a Comment