originally posted on tumblr, Apr 8th 2026
Movie-A-Day-Thon #44: Vampire Hunter D (1985)
I am what one might call an internet oldie, and byt that I mean, my birth year starts with 19. I was there for a lot of the internet wild west days, and I saw a lot of the olden memes come and go. I did in fact, spend considerable time browsing through icanhazcheezburguer.com. Back when it was good anyway.
And one thing I did see, was back when the Vampire AMV came out. Yeah, that one. It was in fact the first taste I had of Vampire Hunter D, and since then I always told myself, oh I need to watch this, the animation looks so juicy! Then I find out, the clips from this is from Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, which I will be watching next.
Immediately I am in love with it. The gushing blood, the futurisitic horror beasts, the cybernetic horse, the stone cold classic vampirism, the whole of it! It's so very pulpy PULPY fiction 80s and I LOVE IT!! What, is this medieval, or post-apocalyptic scifi, or high fantasy? No one knows and no one cares!!! This is just plain fun and corny and dumb and I don't careeeee!!
The animation gets a bit wonky here and there, sure, but overall it's more charming than a nuisance, and it does have some really nice moments too. And well, it being so 80s unfortunately means barely dressed women getting assaulted or slobbered on by men. Unfortunate times.
It does have some tropes I really adore, though. Like if there's one thing I love, it's a talking weapon or attatched symbiote that belongs to a quiet loner type. No sir, you will be nagged and interacted with, there's no escape, not like you can just ditch your left hand when it hits too close to home! Oh, and a class of vampires called "nobles"?? Nobility criticism in my vampire media?? Sign me up!
Also damn, Greco ate it just like that, huh? I knew he wouldn't last but wow. It's kind of funny that the lady vampire hates humans so much, she 180s into being a girl's girl and being willing to let Doris leave, so long as she stays far away from her father. Too bad about her true nature though.
Lowkey didn't expect the maybe-Dracula-son lore drop, but in retrospect, it was right in my face huh? Only Dracula's kids have this much drip, and luscious locks.
Anyway this is a cult classic for a reason, good shit!!
No comments:
Post a Comment